Development Communications Specialist job description
Big Blue is looking to recruit a mid-level Development Communications Specialist (5+ years experience) that understands the international development sector and has a blend of excellent writing and digital media management skills to support our clients’ storytelling assignments.
You will help us plan and manage press/media articles, events, scripts for films and animations, photo stories, branding materials, and technical and storytelling publications. We are looking for a teammate who can start work with our Dhaka team immediately.
You will work with us in two areas. First, you will help us deliver top-quality communications products for our client projects worldwide, with a specific focus on our projects in Bangladesh. Second, you will help us build Big Blue’s growing profile in the international development sector.
You will work fast, to the highest standards of delivery, and you will take a customer service approach to our relationships with our client teams.
Due to the nature of our client projects, candidates with backgrounds in the following sectors are highly encouraged to apply: digital/mobile financial services and financial inclusion, gender and/or women’s empowerment, and youth advocacy.
- Turn complex research and data into clear, compelling stories. Strong English writing skills are essential
- Write and publish communications materials such as press articles, brochures, slide presentations, event materials, email newsletters, reports, briefs and factsheets in clear and jargon-free language, then make sure they reach the right audiences
- Review and edit all design materials that are prepared by other Big Blue teammates
- Work with us and our client teams to create meaningful memorable events in Dhaka
- Research, write, and edit film and animation scripts
- Meet with client teams, develop relationships, join field visits, and promote the importance of good communication activity on international development projects
- Develop and publish content for social media accounts
- Ensure that all communications materials follow client projects’ branding guidelines
Big Blue’s profile
- Create and manage our content publishing calendar
- Write blog posts, take photos, post content to social media, and ensure that our reputation is represented to the highest standard
- Write and edit animation scripts
- Work with our graphic designers to produce high-quality materials such as portfolio books, slide presentations, and branding materials
Why work with Big Blue
- We work with some of the most reputable, exciting names in international development, and we have clients worldwide, from Ghana to the UK to Pakistan to Bangladesh
- We are a creative communications team that supports international development projects, so you work in a professional environment that combines media, the arts, and truly meaningful work
- Remote online working (we use Slack, WhatsApp, and Trello to communicate across time zones)
- You choose the location you work in, with regular meetings with our teammates
- Direct communication with our client teams
- We work hard, but we deeply respect the need for down-time, reflection, quiet time, and holidays
- Monday-Friday working week. 8.5 hours a day, with 1 hour for lunch
- 3-month probation period, followed by 6-9-month fixed term contract
- If contacted by Big Blue for interviews, candidates will be asked to submit a 500-word writing sample, CV, and portfolio
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Candidates must have right to work in Bangladesh
How to apply